Tinkerberry Chocolat Masque Review: Homegrown

I've been focusing on mainstream, imported skincare and beauty products that it made me wonder if our local artisans and company has more under their sleeve but just went unnoticed by me. I'm hoping I can review at least one local (MALAYSIA woot!) beauty product each month, and see how they performed.

This month, I got in touch with Tinkerberry Spa to buy a customized box full of their artisanal goodies. I found them after a friend of mine, Amy of Malaysian Beauty Haul reviewed their chocolat scrub in her cubecrate subscription box. Their niche market? Small batches handcrafted desert inspired bath and body treats. Delicious.



They use no preservatives, sls, alcohol, paraben and synthetic ingredients, and claimed that they use non-chemical ingredients (psst: everything that made up the world is chemical) which I guess as homemade and natural as it could be. I'm a little bit worried about the no preservative part actually, as it can grow mold and contaminated in the blink of an eye. To counterpart this issue, Tinkerberry recommended to;


  • Store products in a cool, dry place
  • To prolong shelf life, keep refrigerated
  • Always use a clean, dry spoon to scoop contents of jar
  • Keep products away from water


which is understandable, but that means you really need to use them as fast as possible. Not an easy feat for a hoarder like me. On the bright side, you can be ensure that their products are freshly made and you're getting the best for your skin.

Back to my haul, I was so interested with the Chocolat Masque that they showed in their Instagram. They look like pure Nutella! For my customized box, I got the Chocolat Masque in full size, and trial size of the Chocolat Masque to gift to my friends, a trial size of Spiced Apple Scalp Detox and a trial size of the Chocolat Scrub.

My customized box is nicely tied with organza ribbon and includes a customized greeting note




For this post, I will just be reviewing the Chocolat Masque as I got that in full size, and in the future I will be posting on my first impression on the other samples I got.

Pretty small, but I feel 50g is a standard size for wash off masks


The Chocolat Masque is 50g, and costs RM40 before shipping.

The Chocolat Masque ingredients are:

Bentonite Clay, Moroccan Rhassoul Clay (Moroccan Lava Clay), Kaolin Clay (Kaolinite), Vegetable Glycerin, Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice), Dark Cocoa, Shea Butter (Butyrospermum parkii (Shea Butter) Fruit), Cocoa Butter (Theobroma cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter), Black Cumin Seed Oil ( Nigella Sativa (Black Cumin) Seed Oil), Damask Rose Oil (Rosa Damascena Oil), Neroli Oil (Citrus Aurantium (Neroli) Oil)

Ingredients:

When I read the ingredients, the cocoa butter jump out to me first, because Cocoa butter is as comedegenic as coconut oil. On the scale of 1-5 (from non-comedogenic to highly comedogenic) Cocoa Butter and Coconut Oil is rated at 4, which means most people will have a chance to break out from using the ingredient, depending on their skin type and how good their skin tolerate the ingredient.

I use a wooden spoon to apply the mask. 2 full spoon (about the size of teaspoon) can cover my entire face


My skin does not like Coconut Oil, therefore I made sure that I patch test this mask first at the my clogged-prone area; my butterfly area (hint; your nose is in between the area)

Lucky me, this mask did not clog me at all! So it might won't clog you up too! Just make sure to patch test!

Scent:

This mask smell faintly like chocolate. There's also a hint of rose from the Damask Rose Oil in it.  It wasn't as rich as I imagined it would be, more like a toned down chocolate chip cookie scent. Nonetheless it still smell delicious.

Texture and Application:

I was expecting the mask to be creamy and thick, but actually this mask is quite drippy. It's quite hard to get an even application with a spatula, so I really recommend using a good mask brush to evenly apply this mask. I applied a thin layer of the mask all over my face.

Quite runny


Experience and Result

This mask is a self-heating mask, which means after you apply the mask, you will feel a warm sensation on your skin for about 20 seconds. I have tried a self-heating mask before, it does feel calming especially after a hectic day, although I still favor regular wash off than this type of mask.

Thin application on my face


After washing the mask off, there was no greasy feeling whatsoever. My skin felt a lot softer than before, which I really appreciate. Seems like all the cocoa and shea butter moisturized my skin without breaking me out, so I will call this a success!

Refreshed, clean, softer skin


Verdict

This mask is a surprise for me because it does work well with my skin, there were no breakouts whatsoever, plus my skin was definitely softer afterwards. I do even notice a slight glow to my skin as well. If you're looking for a self-heating mask or a mask in general that's organic, fresh and want to support small local company, I would recommend you to give this mask a try*. Just remember to PATCH TEST!

* I would not recommend those with acne-prone skin or easily clogged skin to try this unless you already know you are okay with Cocoa Butter.


CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top